Digital resources are often inaccessible to communities of color and small business owners. During this pandemic, our team has heard from non-profits who are on the frontlines and providing emergency aid to essential workers while lacking a website to receive donations in a secure manner. Given the need for simple yet effective solutions, our team is providing insight to creating these tools with the hope of eliminating one barrier that social justice non-profits encounter. This tool is not the only solution and organizations must gauge whether it is the right tool for their organizations. However, it is one solution for non-profits who are doing critical work while needing a simple solution if they do not have a website or donor portal.
To ensure your non-profit is set up to receive online funding, we will walk you through the steps of setting up a simple, but effective portal where your supporters can easily donate using PayPal and Donorbox.
PayPal is a powerful system that enables you to accept online payments, in a secure and fast way. Donorbox is an application that caters to non-profits needs with a great level of customization. With PayPal and Donorbox integrated, you can create a powerful tool for your organization to thrive. Please note both services have credit card processing fees. Visit PayPal.com and Donorbox.org to learn about standard transaction fees and discounts for non-profits.
Setting Up Your PayPal Account
The first step in setting up your Donation Page is to set up a PayPal Business Account so that your business can accept online donations. Please follow the steps below to begin the process.
1. Visit PayPal.com and click on Sign Up button located in the top right corner.
2. Select Business Account and click Next.
1. Enter your email address in the next screen and click on Continue.
2. In the next screen, create your password for your account.
3. Next, PayPal will ask about your business, like the name of your business, contact information, and address. Fill in the information, then make sure to read their policy and agree to continue.
4. In the next screen, select Non-profit organization from the dropdown and click Continue. If your non-profit is registered, make sure to select This non-profit is a registered charity box to receive the discounted rate.
5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete your account. Once completed, check your email and make sure to confirm your PayPal account before moving on to the next step.
Setting Up Your Donorbox Account
After setting up your PayPal Business Account, create a Donorbox account to integrate the two services. Please follow the steps below to begin the process.
1. Visit Donorbox.org and click on Org Signup button located in the top right corner.
3. Next, select Non-profit for organization type, select the amount raised online in the next 12 months, and any additional information that applies. Click Done to create your account.
4. Once completed, check your email and make sure to confirm your Donorbox account.
Now that you have PayPal and Donorbox set up, you can connect the two services to create a designated page for online donations. Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our free worksheet on How to Set Up a Donation Page.